Saturday, October 25, 2008

My First Job Interview: Part 4 of 5

The Interview Continues...

The Smart: Here is a question for you?

It was a quant question which went something like - If A+B can do the work in 6 days, B+C in 8 days and C+A in 10 days, then in how many days will A+B+C be able to do the same work?

The Smart: Do you have a pen?

Me: Yes Sir (I took out Ankur’s pen)

While calculating, I had enough confidence to solve the problem but soon nervousness crept in. First, I calculated the answer to be 15 days but soon realized that it can’t be so. Though I was not able to solve that simple problem, I told the panel the right approach and at the same time gave them ample impression that its because of nervousness that I am unable to solve the problem otherwise this would have been solved in a jiffy. Perhaps, the gamble paid off well.

The Smart: Do you have any questions to ask?

Me: Yes Sir – A question just came to my mind during the interview session. Sir, you told me that I am a bit unstable. From a Chemical Engineering background, I am going into the software field. Sir, you being my senior, am I doing the right thing?

The Smart: See, Chemical is Chemical and Software is Software. I don’t know much about Chemical so I can’t tell you exactly. But, software field has lots of opportunities.

Me: Sir, perhaps I am doing the right thing.

The Lady: Utsav, you may go now.

I stood up, thanked them all and moved out.

I would have been inside for 15-20 minutes but never felt it. The interview was a cool one and a nice experience indeed.

Outside, the atmosphere was restless. I was wearing a white shirt without any pullover on this cold 17th January; which turned out to be a hot-hot day. People just gathered around me, in fact gherao-ed me and were asking repeatedly about interview and the interview questions.

There was never going to be waiting for the interview result as I was the last person to be interviewed. Soon, Prof. V.K.Singh, our TPO (Training and Placement Officer) came out with a list of selected candidates.

I did not see the TPO coming out but the name ‘Utsav Verma’ from him, at the first hearing was heavenly music to me. I could not believe it. I never thought to be so. But, it was all before me.

My First Job would be at POLARIS. At that moment, I was unsure, unsure of everything that had happened; however one thing was for sure – “Life was never going to be same again” or it will be worse…

Don’t forget to catch-up the concluding piece tomorrow. Its not over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment