Thursday, October 2, 2008

BIG APPLE in decline


The moment I landed in the US, one thing I knew for sure that it’s BIG for the worse. Newark Airport is the landmark and it shows why. What flabbergasted me were the JUMBO men and women. I realized sooner that obesity is the national problem for the country. Although my impression would change (marginally) by the end of the tour (that the situation is not that worse), large Macs and fries have not done any good to the country. Many of the things appeared oversized be it the skyscrapers, the room-sized elevators, the large food servings, the office premises or the long hours away from office.

What enthused me was the people’s behavior. I had a notion that the Americans are un co-operative and to themselves. My experience was different although this perception is because of the Hispanics, Blacks (pardon) or the people from countries who are in asylum in the US.

Charlotte – the city where I spent most of the days is in fact one of the most ‘Green’ city in the US. I must though say that the US seems to be in decline of the little experience I had with the country and its people. The ‘Oil’ crises has made the gas prices go-up by 400% in 4 years. Not that the US is the only country that is experiencing this crises, but it seems that the situation has gone beyond its control. I came to know that Dick Cheney, who is the Vice President has business interests and family contacts with the Middle-East. With the intention to benefit Middle-east nations (Big Oil was instrumental in Bush coming to power), the prices were made to go up. Iraq was invaded to make sure that oil supply remains robust and there are no spiraling gas prices. With the Iraq war going wrong, the people are experiencing the worst economic times. On the eve of Fed’s decision on interest, one of the trader asked that Mr. Bernanke should give him a reason for oil to stay below $130. He has made tones of money with buying contracts at little over $ 130 and selling over $142. The 4th July weekend remained suppressed as per the media reports. The highways that remained choc-a-bloc on working days have become less congested. Instead of buying $12 a Chardonnay (wine) glass, people prefer to have a bottle for $ 17 (which makes three good glasses). Housing is on decline (people prefer renting out rather than mortgaging), interest rate have been made to stabilize without much success and inflation is climbing up. The general talk with people shows up their frustration and the troubled times ahead. The credit crises is not over yet. Talks of Lehmann acquisition and Fannie and Fredie collapse adds more to the woes. Natural calamity has stuck the west coast. The flooding that the west coast has seen will make sure that food prices continue to rise. The California fires have been burning since the last 4 weeks and I am amazed that the government has not been able to gain control over it.
Crime rate remains high with number of instances of burglary, rape and murder. In one of the New York bars, I overheard people’s complaint regarding the poor management of the city with unplanned construction and bad public governance.

I hoped to visit a perfect country with world-class infrastructure and hard-working healthy people with each of its citizens living an esteemed life. I am sorry US, you disappointed me.

Only got time today (Gandhi Jayanti) to post this July 03 blog. I feel vindicated and prophetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment