Sunday, April 5, 2009

Air, Water, Food and Internet

Dubai smells like a pot of gold; shining with radiance, secretly-kept and stubbornly indefatigable. Despite being the richest emirate, Abu Dhabi is Dubai’s distant cousin. When Dubai is bracing itself to unveil the world’s tallest building, it seems Abu Dhabi is doing fitments on the 20th Floor.
The moment I ended up at Abu Dhabi Bus Station, I had to first struggle my way to the taxi stand and then quibble with the drivers. Dubai was so methodical; the drivers never deny you the taxi and always go by the meter. The Moslem Driver, with a deliberate attempt to convert his Toyata Corolla to a Mumbai taxi, somehow agreed to drop me to the hotel. The moment I shut down the luggage cabin at the back, he shouted shockingly – ‘Allah, Tumko Dheere Se Band Karna Nahi Aata.’ I hurriedly sat on the front seat, quickly apologizing to him and shutting the door – again a BANG. My heart missed a beat. The ferocity on his face desired my silence and … it helped. He charged me 10 Dirhams, refusing to give away change despite the meter reading being 6.5. I dutifully agreed to his demand, considering that the excess charge would be because of additional depreciation, I have caused to his fighting fit vehicle. By the way, Abu Dhabi is just 10 minutes by taxi or 10 Dirhams in circumference.

The Hotel, although exorbitantly priced, was again a ‘mood destroyer’. Okay, I can do without the poolside view or the gymnasium or the sauna but internet…Isn’t it mandatory these days? They don’t serve water in the room (or charge for it) and tap water is better avoided. Thirsty in the room without internet…

The peculiar stench made the air-conditioning (I regard AC as man’s greatest invention) look (I mean, smell) trivial. Thirsty, Breathless in the room without internet…

I kept the luggage in the room (no bellboys here) and went down on the street; to have lunch. Navratras have made matters worse; after all one can not expect a vegetarian course in these ‘Al Kabab’ restaurants. Hungry, Thirsty, Breathless and Without Internet on the streets of Abu Dhabi.

By the time I returned to my room, depression ran amok on my mind. The silent room with 3 ‘selected’ channels (Asianet, NatGeo and BBC) and no connection with the world, took me back 20 years, the pre-Nokia and Doordarshan era. I feel like a ‘castaway’

I have managed to find ‘Havana Café’ – the internet and dining café (5 Dirhams for an hour of internet access and one minimum order) which will be my ‘oxygen mask’ for the next 5 days. As we exited after the dinner, climate change felt real. It was raining cats and dogs in this desert land and exposed the city’s drainage system. Dubai is also experiencing a similar weather but the city is much better prepared.

I am less depressed now, not because of extended blogging sessions (postings will be delayed due to rarely available internet) that I will get but because of two things –

1) Carallione cac Spinac E Ricotto – Rolled Pasta breads with seasoned spinach and lots of Rocotto Cheese: It was yummyliscious and a purely vegetarian dinner. I am going to have one for tomorrow as well.
2) Dubai Abu Dhabi Express Bus: The Dubai Abu Dhabi bus journey was like Thai Airways’ – Smooth as Silk. Hassle less, air-conditioned and swift travel. Importantly, I can expect a similar journey back to Dubai, when I board my flight back to India on 3rd April.

My room still has a view, view of a large skyscraper, whose entire façade has two stagnant horses on their rear feet; ready to gallop. That’s what Abu Dhabi is for me. Dubai is far ahead conducting the ‘world famous’ Horse Racing World Cup this week.

This was a few days back. My views about Abu Dhabi are still evolving. Don't forget to catch the next blog ' Ten Things I should have known before writing the previous blog' in some time from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment